March 21, 2010

My view of Miley Cyrus

Today I read an interview of Miley Cyrus. Now, I am in no way judging her; I am simply stating my opinion on some of her answers and statements.
I do feel that I must point out something first: she is 17 and has been living under Hollywood's microscope for five years. I definitely could NOT handle it, but some things she said just didn't sit right with me... (Not to mention the skimpy outfit she wore on the cover! But that's what sharpies are for :-P)

"My faith is very important to me, but I definitely don't define my faith by going to church because it feels like a show with all the cameras," I admit, it would be obnoxious to have cameras in your face. But couldn't she try to ignore the 'show' and go worship and listen to the teachings? Church is church, and her excuse isn't legitimate.

When asked if it's hard to be a christian, "People are always looking for you to do something that is non-christian, but it's like dude, Christians don't live in the dark... If I wear something revealing, suddenly I'm not a christian. Oh yeah, like I'm going to hell for wearing a mini skirt." I feel that she is setting a tarnished example of what christians should do. No, christians do not live in the dark, but that doesn't mean that you need to display your limbs immodestly for the world to see. No, you won't go to hell for wearing a mini skirt, but you won't be honoring the Lord by wearing one.

When asked about the controversies she has had, "I wonder if parents remember how they were when they were a kid! Like, dude, like you were an angel! My parents love me. Sometimes they're like, Miles, we're not thrilled about your decisions, but at least they don't have to worry about where I am at 3 in the morning!" No, no one is perfect but you have young fans that look up to you hugely, why else would you be on their lunch boxes and toothbrushes and clothes? Miley complains that she hates being a 'product', but it shows how much people like her and look up to her. I concur that it would get annoying seeing your face everywhere, however if she is tired of that, the she should take a sabbatical from showbiz to clear her head.

She is a 17 year old superstar (literally) and the pressure seems to be getting to dear ol' Destiny Hope 'Miley' Cyrus. Looks like Miley ain't so smiley anymore... (Gabrielle, that's for you!) I hope that she is happy doing what ever she wants to do. I don't agree with some of the things she does or wears, but I wish her luck in evolving out of Hannah Montana.

Sweet 12 year old Miley Cyrus... just a girl with a dream and a wig.Here is Hannah Montana, aka Miley Cyrus, aka Miley Stewart in season 1A recent snap of Miley. Her makeup is a little dark...Hannah Montana in season 3... I have to point out that #1 I love the dress and #2 it is modestMiley at the 2010 Oscars... they could have added sleeves and a neckline!

Miley Cyrus as Ronnie in her newest movie, The Last Song,

What do you think of Miley? Like her, hate her, in between? Comment and let me know!

4 comments:

Ella said...

Wow, Sara, I don't know if I have ever seen you this fired up before =)

First off, I feel sad for Miley Cyrus mostly. I mean, she has lived in the spotlight for years (and I'll bet it was her parent's decision at first rather than hers) and she does live under a microscope.....and of course, Hollywood gets to you.

I am of the opinion that having people look up to her as a role model is scary, but then again, people look up to me....and I don't think I am the best role model for them. My daily prayer is that I point them to the Lord...I'd love to hear Miley say the same thing.....but I know that's a stretch.

Let's look on the bright side, maybe Miley Cyrus, once she leaves Hannah Montana next year, will fall out of the lime light and we won't have to worry about her anymore =)

And I agree, that Oscar dress could use a major modest fashion overhall. I mean, if it had to be strapless, make it MUCH higher

So, I guess in the midst of watching the movie when I come to visit, we'll rant and rave about the live she leads, huh? =)

Love,
Ella

Brittany November said...

Oh hi! I just found your blog :)

First of all, I could care less about Miley's dark make-up because it looks nice and there's nothing wrong with wearing make-up imo, or her season 3 dress thing; though if I wear a dress the hem is usually closer to knee length, but whatever. The Oscars dress is just plain ugly regardless of the fact that the neckline is low...

I'm just sick of seeing her face on every last product everywhere. And she does wear some pretty revealing stuff. And people keep saying she's a great role model for kids to have because she's Christian, but if there is not fruit to back up her claims, then really what's the use? Plus...her dad gets on my nerves. ;)

Sara said...

Haha, thanks for the comments! I truly did not wish to slam her, I merely stated my view of the Miley-Era.

Anonymous said...

Great post about Miley. Just because Christians can never be perfect, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to be like Jesus to the best of our ability (with His help). As I said in my article, I don't think Miley Cyrus is a good role model. There are many other artists out there who are great people for girls to look up to, like Bethany Dillon, the band BarlowGirl, and others.